CULTURE SWAP 20th November. 2017

My partner is from the UK,most of the images she gave me are closely related to her life . Those pictures were very small , so on the basis of collage I tried to find some detail silhouette and structure to develop . Everyone has different opinions about this project  ,  so the focus of attention is quite different . We grow under different cultural background, and we have completely different opinions on things, through our own subjective thoughts to define a new culture that we never contacted before . The exchanges between those two cultures have produced extremely different and interesting results . Like my partner, she used a way that I didn't think of doing this collage. She didn't try to start from the cultural background. She used the simplest way to capture the shapes in these pictures .This way is a great transformation for traditional Chinese culture . 

CULTURE SWAP 21st November. 2017

In fact, my choice can be very wide, only with paper can be paid attention to two aspects: different paper, or different manipulation . In my opinion, our material is restricted and the challenge is greater . I'm more inclined to do something like illustration . But I think it's very monotonous and boring . So I'm going to think more about how to change the texture of it .I started cutting and rubbing ,I got the river in the picture, so I used the paper cutting to imitate the form of water . I like Yayoi Kusama very much, her work brings me a lot of inspiration, and it also affects my creative means and style.

CULTURE SWAP 23ed November. 2017

Today we have critique, and culture always has great charm . The whole classroom is full of national, cultural atmosphere ,this scene is very touching . Many people have done very three-dimensional paper works. These sheets are folded out of many shapes, and I found that sometimes I  can also focus on the shadow of origami, and the shadow is also very interesting . We must face our own problems objectively then we can make progress and deal with our own problems more efficiently .

Fruit Machine 27th Nov. 2017

We set up a simple game, the game made everyone's division of labor, we only use a way of weaving, but by changing the color and the rope tied also created different texture . I tried to knit a piece of string and then use it to weave .  I tied a lot of bows on a piece of string because I was trying to mimic the shape of the firecracker . I think our problem is that the whole fabric looks very chaotic and lacks the contrast and vitality . Then we made a small weaving sample ourselves .  I used lines and colors to imitate the coastline of the collage of Erwan soyer . 

Fruit Machine 28th Nov. 2017

We went to the Tate modern today, and it's not the first time I've been there, but it's totally different ,I used to focus on the background of those art works , rarely looked at details, textures, and ignored patterns on them ,When I changed the perspective of them ,I got the more valuable  information . I was very impressed by the art device, which was all made of human hair . This is in common with the prints we made today , a hair just a hair, a shape just a shape, but if it keep repeating, magical reaction will occur . We put the information from the exhibition and the starting point together . The impact of the differences information is also very beautiful . Of course, I also found my problem: the style is too unified, so I will change this situation after that .

Fruit Machine 30th Nov. 2017

The sentences I get are related to Buddhism , so I think of Tibet in China ,and in the course of research I have associated the architecture of Tibet ,so I tried to imitate the architecture of Tibet by using the way of weaving . After finished this sample, I felt that it looks too ordinary and boring, so I was going to add some harder material later .  Then I searched for some totems related to Sanskrit ,  and then combined with the original picture, which elements gave me some inspiration , and finally I made a print . There are so many things I can improve ,and I have learned more and more about the importance of development in the process of learning .

Fruit Machine 4th Dec. 2017

I got back to the original picture that I received on the first day . I wonder if it can be possible to show something new from these research again . In these two weeks we have learned a variety of new techniques , and experienced so many new things that makes me want to go back to the original starting point . At the same time, I need to think more about the mode of development , and I would like to connect these samples with body , so then I experiment with painting and photograph . 

Fruit Machine 5th Dec. 2017

Today I tried to make more three-dimensional of the sample on the basis of weaving , and I added the wire to the four edges  and recorded different styles of it . Then I found a texture while sharpening my pencil ,actually I didn't know how to keep this texture on the same plane at first . Later, I found that lino cutter can achieve this type of texture very simply . Then there was a stalemate ,I don't know what material I can use to  express this sense of quality , I attempted to use wood, cardboard . I suddenly felt the texture look like fish scales ,so I used a silver mirror paper to imitate it . In fact, cyprinoid is an important part of Tibetan Buddhism . I also drew some totems of Thangka ,in my opinion ideographs  are a kind of pattern——“格物” why I draw this Chinese phrase on that paper ?Because it means Examine things/objects and  gain knowledge . I think we're not just reading book in the course of fashion & textiles ,more often we are researching all kinds of objects and materials ,  then we gained knowledge from them . That's the deep reason that I use this phrase .

Fruit Machine 7th Dec. 2017

Today we got valuable advice from the group critique ,we all stand in different ways to give each other relatively objective advice . I learned how to do the depth of research would be better ,I also know that some of the better ideas should be developed, not only to think but also to increase action . I might need more research and my thinking process . My outcome has a single display, and I should develop more, rather than just print them on paper .  In the afternoon, we saw the white show. In the case of all white, we could see clearly the silhouette and texture of the design ,and only use one color to do fashion design, It really reflects a person's ability and experience very directly . I always like to use contrasting colors. This is my hobby and my good aspects. But after watching white show, I want to try other directions, and use simpler colors to create some new .

Colour in your Environment 18th Dec. 2017

Because the theme was about the color of the surrounding environment, so I started directly with the space closest to me. There were some plants that were raised by my home, now it is autumn, most of the plants are beginning to wither. In Chengdu, you can see ginkgo trees everywhere on the street, because ginkgo trees are the city trees of Chengdu,It symbolizes both happiness and good fortune. So I chose to use the color of the ginkgo leaves as the starting point.I picked up some leaves to make a simple but effective collage.  In fact, I am very hesitant, because the color of ginkgo leaves is a little monolithic, but this does not affect me to use this natural thing to continue to develop idea. 

Colour in your Environment 21st Dec. 2017

I went to the International Intangible Cultural Heritage Expo Park in Chengdu. Young people nowadays are rarely willing to learn about real traditional culture. After the visit, I discovered the difference between traditional skills and material cultural heritage. Visually, you can see the production of traditional ethnic costume. Audibly, you can hear folk songs from all parts of China. In the sense of smell, you can smell the food while the cook cooked the traditional food. After the visit, I was going to develop this project with some traditional techniques, and I corrected the error information I had been searching for.

Colour in your Environment 28th Dec. 2017

After watching the Shu embroidery Museum, I got a lot of inspiration about colors and patterns. The embroidery method of Shu embroidery is very delicate and pays great attention to detail. There are many types of patterns. The main categories are natural weather and plants, immortals, ancient beasts and animals, and a few religious and human.  Synthesizing the previous research, I used some Chinese character that related to colour, as well as some Chinese ancient embroidery patterns to do some print. I also made some fabrics to emphasize the connection between color and some Chinese characters. I also tried to use some millet as a composite material. In fact, this is not a particularly successful idea, I did not use a particularly good way to deal with these millet, maybe I should add some hard materials, and these millet in contrast

Colour in your Environment 4th Jan. 2018

We made the group critique, and all of us were very objective. Everybody gave me some very constructive and helpful suggestions. After critique, I summarized myself with the following questions: Maybe I've made too many prints in this project, so I should develop a little more stereoscopic samples. Secondly, I should collect more colors of the ginkgo leaf and chose a key point to development. Sometimes I think it's time to focus on some key points and develop and make them in the same direction.Because the last thing I've done on this project is that my focus is too divergent.

Corduroy 8th Jan. 2018

This project looks simple, but it's actually very interesting. The simpler the starting point, the more imaginative and creative it is.We gathered a lot of diverse information through the panel discussions. We collected the different languages of corduroy. We also think of corduroy's history. And the shape of corduroy reminds us that there is never an end. After that, we made some small samples in a very clear and concise way. Materials are limited, but we are made in different ways. I used stitches mainly to mimic corduroy's patterns on pure white cloth. Because I think this will highlight the texture.

Corduroy 9th Jan. 2018

When I looked at the text of corduroy, it suddenly occurred to me that there was a Chinese medicine whose name was very similar to that of corduroy in Chinese. So I drew the shape of the traditional Chinese medicine and looked for its properties and effects. And then I searched for more Chinese herbs, and these are very similar to corduroy. I used a lot of contrasting color in previous project,so I decided based this project on a natural color palette. In order to follow this color arrangement, I chose clay and real Chinese medicine as materials. But I also found the problem, besides doing print- it's hard to change the shape of some special Chinese medicine. Collage workshop and knitting workshop make me feel completely different. At collage shop, I learned to use my imagination in logic, to constantly change between logic and imagination.But in my knitting study, I expanded my ideas and learned to incorporate this new technology into my work, and I wanted to combine knitting with multivariate materials.

Corduroy 11st Jan. 2018

In the process of learning lino print, I failed twice, once because of material selection is wrong, I chose a more fluffy cloth to print, finally find it difficult to paint adhesion on the above, then at the time of carving, my strength is too small, the trace of carving is very shallow, cause pigment filled sag, print failed again.Then we displayed our own collection of color items,We found the lines on the ground and put them together to form the shape of the stripes.We did a quick painting with a strong shock of death, and we recorded their shapes from different angles, and I believe we can find very good prints from them.

Corduroy 15th Jan. 2018

The teacher gave us a professional tutorial.I also got valuable advice, although I had a good combination of traditional Chinese medicine and PVC, but I did not display them well. Maybe I should put it in a more three-dimensional and expressive way. And I should be thinking about some special ways of making things, rather than just imitating simple shapes. And then I thought of using candles to make some more spatial shapes. The candles are melted and dripped together, not only in natural shape, but also in texture. Then why should I use candles? Back to the beginning, the Chinese word for corduroyis comes from the candlestick of the candle, because in the eyes of the Chinese people, the stripes of the cloth are very much like the candlestick, so its name was created, so I think of candles. And used candles as one of the main materials.

Corduroy 16th Jan. 2018

In the end, I chose three kinds of Chinese medicine as the main materials of final sample for my project---“Amomum tsao-ko”,“Flammulina velutiper (Fr.) Sing”,and “Codonopsis pilosula”. I would like to make the husk and seed of the Amomum  tsao-ko separately. So I cut them open, and for the sake of good vision, I did a stich on the shell. I think the combination of these Chinese medicines is very meaningful, For the Chinese, the smell of mixed boiled herbs is very bad. But putting them together in a very interesting way, in the form of textiles, not only creates a pleasing texture, but it also makes people smell the real flavor that these herbs haven't boiled.  These smells are very special and good to smell. 

Corduroy 18th Jan. 2018

For the second research,  I went to british museum. I saw Susie Freeman's collection and manufacture of Western medicine. Her work was very impressive and had a very big impact on me. I began to pay more attention to the efficacy of traditional Chinese medicine in my work this time.And added some traditional Chinese medicine‘s packaging into the sample. The most common technique I used for this project was weaving and knitting,It is very beautiful to combine hard special materials with soft yarn. Speaking of which, I don't think I have a very effective schedule for this project. Because I had to deal with those herbs, I wasted some creative production time. But it also gave me more experience in production and time planning. This project has inspired my enthusiasm for comprehensive materials, and I am confident that I will better work with variety materials in the future

Corduroy 22nd Jan. 2018

This is the first time I've tried to join folding in this way to interpret textiles. Although this approach is difficult, I will try more origami in the future and combine other synthetic materials to create textiles. A simple piece of paper can change a lot, which makes my thought more broadly. When I was sharpening my pencil, I also found a nice shape, so I cut some colored pencils into a fish scale. Although they have great visual effects, I thought later that it would be better to unify them because it would highlight its texture and draw attention to its surface.

Corduroy 23rd Jan. 2018

Then in this project, I did some testing on color, and I saw Bruce Nauman's art exhibition on neon at TATE MODERN. Neon lights give me a kind of psychedelic feeling. These lights are beautiful and childlike. I used the main colors of his work: green, pink, orange and blue. Coupled with the corduroy element, I did some knitting samples to create a feeling of youth. I also added Chinese characters to the middle of these samples, and I chose transparent PVC to make them, because I wanted to highlight the colors and make the characters partly hidden and partly visible. 

Corduroy 25th Jan. 2018

We had a tutoring about portfolio , With tutor's advice, I know better how to choose and present my work. A series is a very important thing.We need to clearly show the development of our own work and our own thinking process. There must be some relevance to the work in each project, It is not enough for works and samples to do well. We need to know how to make them look more beautiful and harmonious. I also added a few series of samples in the appropriate part. It is also very important to continue to improve the sketchbook in a printed way. I think that sketchbook is a symbol of our thinking mode and our creativity and technical capabilities.